Administrative units across campus provide support for different types of proposals and different phases of the application and funding process. Some of the units typically involved are described on this page.
You can also review the overall Campus Proposal Process at the Grant Life Cycle page.
Special Assistance Creating Initiatives, Coordinating Proposals, and Finding Funding
The Berkeley Research Development Office (BRDO) provides specialized services for complex, large-scale, and strategic proposals across campus. In the traditional spectrum from pre- to post-award services, most of BRDO's work would be classified as "pre-pre-award." BRDO services include advising the proposal team, coordinating effort flow, and assisting with writing and editing. For large initiatives, other staff within the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research may play a role or lead the coordination. BRDO can also help support proposal development staff in specific colleges, departments, and other units.
While BRDO most often focuses on federal funding, we can also support opportunities associated with other types of funders, working in coordination with the Office of Foundation Relations and Corporate Philanthropy or the Industry Alliances Office.
Pre-award Contract and Grant Services
- Pre-award research administrators at Berkeley typically prepare budgets, assist with sub-awards, generate required forms for signature, upload proposal materials, and interact with the Sponsored Projects Office in preparation for proposal submission. Services vary.
- Depending on your organizational home, pre-award contract and grant services are provided either by staff in your department or by teams organized through the Regional Services.
The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) and the Industry Alliances Office (IAO) are the central campus units responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission to potential funders and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects on behalf of the university.
- SPO focuses on agreements funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources.
- IAO focuses on agreements funded by for-profit groups, along with all incoming material transfer agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and industry membership agreements.
Post-award Contract and Grant Services
Post-award services are typically provided by research administrators and are administered by the same units that provide your pre-award services.
Locating Your Grants Support Staff
You can find names and contact information for your grants support staff in several ways:
- PhoebeSearch, Berkeley’s proposals and awards database, can generate an individualized list of your assigned grants support staff, which may include contact information on your pre-award administrator, post-award administrator, CSS RA Supervisors, SPO Officers, and IAO Officers, where applicable. If you are affiliated with multiple units, different staff may be assigned by unit.
- Some of the Regional Service Regions also provide information on assigned grants support staff.
Your department’s administrative manager can also provide this information.